Zoom + ATEM - solving the audio feedback problem

Today I was using zoom.us cloud meeting software for my community engagement, but also streaming directly from the ATEM. This was a mobile battery powered livestream, so using the ATEM as my video source was really effective. The problem is that the audio and video signals loop back into the meeting software. If it were possible to pin the UVC output to a single A/V input that would solve this problem entirely. So I’m going to post it on the Blackmagic forum.

Using zoom.us my audio pathways look like this:
Microphone -> camera -> ATEM -> UVC audio+video -> Zoom

The cheap fix is to introduce an XLR audio interface in between the mic and the ATEM:
Microphone -> Audio Interface -> Zoom
Audio Interface -line level-> Camera -> ATEM -> UVC video only -> Zoom

I also now have a backup ATEM Mini, and considering the price it’s a shame that I would use it to replace a $100 part like the Zoom microphones U-22.

That dual-ATEM setup will look like this:
Microphone -> Camera -> ATEM A -> Monitor Out -> ATEM B -> Stream
ATEM A -> UVC audio+video -> Zoom

Because my PC’s audio output is currently lost in the mix I need to go back to the drawing board. Genuinely, creating hardware audio busses with few wires is a tricky puzzle and I’m thankful for the practices I’ve learned from vMix and Voicemeeter that will help me figure this out in the next few days.

Hi, seeing that you are already familiar with Voicemeeter, would a solution using a virtual cable (VB Cable by same company) work and save you the extra HW setup?)

I.e. capture computer audio to VB Cable Input and then use VB Cable Output as sound source in Zoom?

On a Mac this would be achieved with Loopback by Rogue Amoeba.

@Ozymandias that would be the solution if I weren’t using the ATEM as my microphone source.

In fact fixing that is the solution which I’m settling on for now. On to the next problem: my PC doesn’t detect the ATEM HDMI inputs as monitors with speakers. This is the same problem as PC’s have with the Live-U’s HDMI connections so I can work around it by adding a Ninja in-line along the PC’s HDMI out chain.

FANTASTIC news for me: I can now see a Blackmagic audio output device. I’m not sure what changed, but I suspect the windows HDMI drivers finally added the device so that it can accept audio sources.

With this I can now loop back my audio without analog adapters, and I can also control my headphone volume separately from the sound the ATEM is accepting. This means that Voicemeeter is once again a complete mixer control for my streaming system, whether it’s at home streaming from a gaming system or in my mobile studio streaming from the ATEM.