Webinar/Stream for limited audience

Hi. Thanks for setting up this forum and being such a wonderfull contributer to the live video community.

I’ve been doing a few webinars and presentations with our company lately using Zoom and although Zoom seems to be working great for scenarios where all “panelists” are in front of their own computer using a webcam and PowerPoint slides, the quality of the video feed seems to be an issue if we are running all cameras and screens through an ATEM Mini or other switcher.
The 720p resolution and low bitrate makes text unreadable and using the screen sharing feature results in a lot of extra hassle as we want to upload a high quality recording afterwards and the recording out of Zoom is just not cutting it for us. Also the audio compression Zoom uses also reduceds the overall quality.

What we are looking for is a solution that would let have atleast a 1080p30 stream, prefferably using RTMP, with optional chat and Q&A functions that we can limit to an audience that has to register and maybe pay to attend.

Any suggestions on what services/solutions can provide this?

I’ve noticed that problem with sharing slides via Zoom as well. It used to work great a few months ago, but I think they had to make some significant changes with the increased demand.

I’ve run these kinds of webinars in the On24 platform before. It has chat and Q&A built in, and various registration options. It works, but I wouldn’t say I’m a huge fan of it.

Thanks @aaronpk. What are your experiences with On24? Do they provide a RTMP endpoint?

I’m not sure if there is an RTMP option, they are mainly set up to share your webcam and share your screen from the computer via the browser. Since the ATEM Mini shows up as a webcam, it works as a browser source in to On24. In On24, when you share your screen, your screen takes the place of your camera for viewers, so you can just as well share your screen into the ATEM Mini which is what I do. I actually have a demo of how I do this in On24 in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omE4wQlj0xQ

1 Like

Hi Ivar, I’m wondering why running the cameras and slides through the Atem Mini causes Zoom a problem. For Zoom, it’s a single Blackmagic video feed, on the face of it the same as all the other panelist webcams. One possibility comes to mind, and sorry if this sounds silly as I’m new to this, but could it be some mismatch between the frame-rate that you are sending from the Atem Mini and what the panelists are using? This could strain processing power and cause the reduced quality?

For one to many streams, I’l add Vimeo as an option to consider. Some people love it, some not so much. In my experience it has never been a problem and does all that I have needed it to do. I have used it for similar style webinars quite a bit where I work. It has many of the features you are looking for, however no registration options. For reference we are using the premium plan.

The other day I was monitoring audio and video statistics while on zoom calls and it was eye opening as to how bad the inbound and outbound quality can typically be.

1 Like

The problem is that text displayed on the webcam feed become unreadable due to compression. I do not have the same problem with the screensharing feature. I’ll look into the framerate thing. Thanks.

We’re using Vimeo for publishing recorded content, but their livestreaming service is currently only available to their top tier but looking at prices now it might be cheaper doing Vimeo Premium rather than Zoom Webinar for a 100+ audience if we figure out how to do registration using our existing webservices.

I think you could use Youtbube for this.
What i did was the following:

• Creare a private stream
  • Crearte a landingpage (i use Brizy.io for that.
  • Once registerd on the landingpage several hours before the actual stream a mail is sent with a link to the stream.
    However i must say i only wanted to collect email addresses. People did not have to pay.
    If they do have to pay this would not work i think.

Hi. @vincentdenkspel. Thanks for your input. I’v thought about youtube for non-commercial events to lower costs. For commercial events youtube’s watermarking and ad-system makes it unsuitable. Also we sometimes have licensed content that could result in a aborted stream by youtube’s content protection system. The hassle of clearing content with youtube is too much work compared to using a more commercial grade service like Vimeo or an OTT.

Zoom uses different compression and higher resolution (but lower framerate) for screenshare than for video.

1 Like