Using HDMI to ethernet adapters and wireless transmitters

I’m currently waiting on an order for an Atem Mini Pro. Mainly covering sport my current plan is to have one camera plugged directly into the Switcher directly via HDMI with the others a bit further away. One plugged in using HDMI to ethernet converters, the other initially the same way later upgrading to be a roaming camera on a gimbal using something like one of Hollyland Mars transmitters.

My mine worry is latency, what is the difference between the HDMI to ethernet converters that cost say £80 to the Roland ones I see priced at over £200? Also again with the Hollyland transmitters I’m guessing the cameras wouldn’t be in sync just using their lower end ones and if I cut from the cameras plugged in directly via HDMI to one using the converters or transmitters the live feed may see the same thing twice due to latency? If that makes sense?

Have you looked into fiber optic hdmi cables? I was trying out a cheap wireless hdmi kit that we are sending back so I have to now run 300’ cable. Fiber hdmi will be cheaper in my situation and will have less connection points for failure.

I hadn’t, would longer runs create any additional delay on the video over shorter runs? My other concern would be price, not the initial price but if those cables get damaged they’re a whole lot more expensive to replace that Cat 6 cable.

I haven’t noticed a delay but all my runs are 100’ yes. The cat 6 would be cheaper to replace. I just wish there was a better type of connection then the plastic clip one. I find they always break

1 Like

You may look into RJ45 connections in a XLR casing
The cheapest way is protecting your connectors with a cap

1 Like

Delay caused by cable length is not a thing, it would take 2000km of cable for a one frame delay.
Only delay you need to worry about is conversion delay.

1 Like