Need help understanding Data Rate on ATEM Mini Pro

Hey everyone,

I’m somewhat new to streaming, but I consider myself pretty good when it comes to tech. I’ve been building a mobile rig, but when it comes to Data Rates, I’m still trying to wrap my head around what that means.

For example, I just did a test. When I output video from my BMPC4K, the Data Rate hovers around 4-6 mb/s and YouTube says my connection is excellent. When I cut to a still from my Media Library, the Data Rate drops to 1.1 and YouTube warns me about my bitrate (screenshot attached).

Am I doing something wrong? I’m using the GL iNet Travel Router (AR750S) and have my ATEM and Computer hardwired to the internet. I did an internet speed test on my computer and I’m getting 200 down / 20 up.

I assume Data Rate means the amount of data the ATEM is pumping to YouTube. But it worries me seeing that error on YouTube when I switch to something other than a camera feed. Am I over thinking this? Thanks for your help!

1 Like

Hi Rob, this is surely due to the high compression possible for the still image? Personally, I would not worry. Others here have much more experience though.

Yeah this is fine. The ATEM Mini uses variable bitrate encoding, so when the picture doesn’t change much (e.g. static graphics) then it can send the image at a much lower bitrate. Youtube doesn’t expect a variable bitrate, and also expects people will be mainly streaming camera video, so it throws up a warning that the bitrate is too low. It’s safe to ignore it though!

1 Like

Awesome. Thanks, @aaronpk and @tim_hughes!