My ATEM Mini Pro setup

I received my ATEM Mini Pro last Wednesday, after waiting more than a month for it.

I record yoga classes 4 days a week. Two times a week, the classes are broadcasted live, the other times are for filling my library of eLearning classes. I record in UHD BRAW Q0 on the cameras, and 1080p h.264 from the ATEM Mini Pro to an SSD.

The gear:

• ATEM Mini Pro
  • MacBook Pro 16", 2.4GHz i9, Radeon 5500M with 8 GB VRAM, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD
  • 12x Samsung T5 2TB SSD
  • Camera 1: Pocket Cinema Camera 4K with Voightländer 10.5mm f/0.95
  • Camera 2: Pocket Cinema Camera 4K with Voightländer 25mm f/0.95
  • Sennheiser XSW-D lavalier mic connected to Camera 1
  • Sennheiser 602-II instrument mic connected to Camera 2
  • iPod Touch connected to the Mic 1 input on ATEM Mini Pro to provide music
  • HyperDeck Studio Mini connected to HDMI input 3 on the ATEM Mini Pro, to serve animated graphics
  • MultiView output from ATEM Mini Pro to a VideoAssist 7", which has a headphones output, allowing me to monitor and adjust sound on my Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones.
  • ATEM Mini Pro records to a USB-C connected Samsung T5 2TB disk
  • ATEM Mini Pro, HyperDeck Studio Mini, and my laptop are connected over Ethernet. I use a TP-Link 5-port Ethernet hub that I plugged into a Fritz WiFi repeater, which wirelessly goes to another Fritz WiFi repeater, which wirelessly goes to a Fritz router.
  • Lighting: 4 105w CFL bulbs in a diffuser, and 3 separate LED panels
  • Also in the picture: a Dell P2419HC 24" monitor, which I use for extra screen real estate. (ie. the Vimeo Livestreaming page)

The weak spot in my set-up is that the audio volume coming from the VideoAssist headphone port is low. When I’m recording, the volume of the talent is louder than what I hear in my cans. So today I ordered a Samson QH4 headphone amp. It will arrive tomorrow, hopefully that will alleviate the issue.

5 Likes

Addendum:

Before, I was streaming over Zoom, using the USB-C output on the ATEM Mini Pro as virtual camera for the MacBook Pro. But I wanted to use that USB-C port for recording to SSD. So now I stream over RTMP, to Vimeo Live (instead of Zoom).

1 Like

Here’s a photo I took tonight, which shows the current workflow. On the previous photo, I was still using Zoom and not recording to SSD from the AMP. Now I’m streaming to Vimeo Live over RTMP. I changed the AMP from cut-bus to program/preview. In the Fairlight module in ATEM Software Control, I added equalizer and gate for my mic input. I made color adjustments in the Cameras tab. The VideoAssist 7" now shows Multiview, while my 24" monitor is used for the Vimeo Live webpage. The Hyperdeck Studio Mini is hooked up and serves leaders, lower thirds, etc. Changing the streaming.xml to work with Vimeo Live was literally done in seconds and the stream worked straight away.

I made a few macros today, I will continue finessing those over the next few days. Mostly to do with timing. Fading audio in and out. Starting the stream, showing a countdown clock, when the clock runs out, starting the recording on SSD and on the cameras and at the same time running the leader, then cross dissolve to talent. Starting playback on the Hyperdeck, then cross dissolve from talent to the Hyperdeck video, at the same time fading in audio from the iPod, and fading out the lav mic. At the end of the video, doing the same in reverse.

2 Likes

Another day, another live yoga class. Today, I received the Samson Q4 headphone amp, which I connected to the headphones output on the VideoAssist. Works like a charm, now the volume on my headphones is way, way louder, allowing me to hear the tiniest of adjustments I make in the equalizer and gate in the Fairlight module of the ATEM Mini Pro. The Samson Q4 is only $100 and does exactly what it says on the tin. It also helped me tremendously while making macros for audio fades.

Such an inspiring setup, quite expensive though… But since it must generate some good following I’m sure it will pay off in the end :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the compliment. Compared to other offerings on the market, I don’t think the gear is expensive, but it was a major investment nonetheless. Since March, I’ve spent $23K on equipment.

And since I posted my last picture, I ordered some more gear. I added a Philips Hue Lightstrip Plus that eliminates the dark shadow cast by the curtains on the floor. I also ordered two Tiffen Black Pro-Mist 1 filters. I have the 0.5 filters now, but there are times when I need a bit more. In Europe, they weren’t available anywhere, so I ordered from B&H. I expect them to arrive on Thursday.

As for the investment paying off: I’m very happy to share that it already has. Before the lockdown, we had 70 members who paid for weekly classes on a monthly basis. And we had 20 people who partook in a 1 year yoga teacher training program which they had paid for in advance. Since March, we have not been able to receive anyone in our yoga center. But because we switched to online classes straight away (first recorded on my iPhone 11 Pro, then on BMPCC4K, then with 2 BMPCC4Ks, and now live instead of prerecorded), we have kept all of our members. The people who are used to coming to classes once a week now get to tune into live online classes twice a week, and they get sent one recorded class per week. The people who would normally come to the yoga center for the teacher training now receive training over Zoom – we’ve added more training days to accommodate this. 4 hour Zoom sessions instead of 8 hour classes in person. None of the teachers in training quit or asked for a refund, they’re all still in the program.

Apart from preserving our existing revenue, we’ve also been able to build a library of online yoga classes that we will use to attract customers who would otherwise not be able to take part in yoga classes in our center. Today, I finished my 24th class. I’ll be offering weekly online classes on a 1 year subscription, so today marked the halfway point (4 classes per month, 48 classes in a year). By mid-Augustus, I’ll be done with the other 24 classes. On September 7, we’re going to start group classes at the yoga center again. So by then, all the equipment has to be removed from the yoga space. All in all, the lockdown has been a blessing in disguise for us. We would otherwise never have had the time or opportunity to record this many online classes in this setting. Now we’ll be set for a full year of online classes. After August 14, I won’t have to record again until June 2021.

Having the ATEM Mini Pro has been a game-changer. Before, I recorded from two cameras, and afterward I had to color correct, mix audio, do multicam editing, add music, add lower thirds and other graphics, and render. The process took 10 hours per 1 hour class. Now I record a class and at the end of it, I’m practically done. I only need to upload the file to Vimeo.

Here are some screen grabs from today’s class, from the h.264 file created by the ATEM Mini Pro. The first one using a BMPCC4K with Voigtländer 25mm, the second one using a BMPCC4K with Voigtländer 10.5mm. I switch between the two cameras live with the AMP, and I add animated lower thirds (made in Apple Motion) played back on the HyperDeck Studio Mini, using the DSK on the AMP. Because I use macros on the AMP, I even have time in between to pan and reposition the camera that’s not on program whenever needed.

I’m very happy with the Philips Hue Lightstrip Plus that I installed behind the curtain. Before, there would be a dark shadow on the floor cast by the curtain. Now that shadow is gone. The light strip can be set much brighter, and in different colors, but I need it to be subtle, as if it’s just a bit of sunlight seeping through.

1 Like

Great to read in such detail. You mentioned the h.264 file created during the recording to the external SSD I guess. I’ve asked a question in a separate thread regarding exactly this - the recording settings to make sure I get the best quality…

Hi, I responded here: Atem Min Pro - recording to external HD best settings

1 Like

A few days a go, I received the Tiffen Black Pro-Mist 1 filters from B&H. I already had 1/2 strength filters. I recorded one class with only the new filters, which gave a better result than the old filters. But now I have stacked the filters, which gives an even softer image.

I also went from f/4 to f/2.8, to decrease DOF and increase blooming.

I put a candle in the background to dress up the scene a bit more. With the two Pro-Mist filters on each camera, the halo around the flame is quite pleasing.

My talent is a 72 year old yoga teacher. The filters definitely help in making her look more youthful.