[Fun Project] Repair of BMD Capture Card

Here´s a little “fun project” I am working on at the moment. I am trying to repair a Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4k Capture Card I bought online for 10€ as “broken”. The capture input works absolutely fine but the HDMI Output of the card seems to be broken (Picture attached). Luckily, my Lilliput A7S monitor can show an output although the signal is corrupted, all my other monitors do not show a picture at all.
I am an electronics-hobbyist so I have got basic/advanved knowledge, although I am not an expert at all. Maybe this might be interesting for some of you or you may have an idea what the problem is.

As you can see, the output actually works fine. The Blackmagic Renderer is outputting an image at the selected resolution/framerate. There seems to be a huge problem with the blue video channel. Lots of interference and signal issues are causing a very distorted image, red and green are working flawlessly.

I am thinking of a problem in the channel 0 of the TMDS protocol of HDMI.
Introduction to HDMI/TMDS
Because both of the red and green channels are working, I do NOT think, that neither the RAM nor the processor of the card are broken and there is no software problem but rather a problem in the transmission hardware.

1 Like