BM Streaming Bridge SDI

Has anyone else been giving the Streaming Bridge some additional thought? The Ref In has me thinking that bi-directional communication might be cable over the bridge. Not sure if that is with the ATEM Mini Pro & ISO or another switcher to be announced next month but it certainly makes me wonder.

Also if that is possible, Imagine having 4 contributors sending their feed in to your central location via the ethernet for use in Super Source of say a 2 M/E while they are conversing over something like Zoom on their end through the usb-c webcam. You could ship a “mobile kit” out for what $4k with lights, tripod, etc?

The more I think about it, I am far more excited by the Bridge than by the ISO.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/atemmini/techspecs/W-APS-16

Im very interesting in the future of the Streaming Bridge too. It also doesn’t seem to have its own landing page which is odd! And the SDI REF stuff.

Yes, the lack of its own landing page, but rather putting it under the ATEM minis and the press release seem to suggest to me that BMD have no plans to release streaming in the bigger ATEMs, but then adding two separate ref inputs is just very odd, like they have future plans for it

It would be nice to have standalone streaming box in the 1/3u Teranex format, but odd the way they present the bridge as only for the ATEMs.
If they don’t release anything more, it is a wasted opportunity - replacing multi-site/room screens, over standard network or potentially even using wifi with them, rather than having to add video cabling in would have been awesome

I am struggling to find a use case for the Streaming Bridge for my setup, so I am holding off for now awaiting @john and @aaronpk to demonstrate its use.

Oddly - in the UK at least - the ISO is in stock and available. I ordered one and the following day it arrived. The Pro took two months on backorder!

Hopefully, the Streaming Bridge will be in stock before too long.

By the way, the ISO is great for my use case (more off-line content production). It’s saving me a lot of time and hassle. I just wish I had known it was coming so I didn’t end up buying the 2 ATEMs 6 weeks apart! Now trying to sell the Pro…it’s only money ?!?

I have a use case in mind for Streaming Bridges (yes multiple). If you can get higher quality video and audio and pass the sdi directly into a larger ATEM switcher…you alleviate many of the issues with multi-presenter (panel) videos. Letting presenters meet in a platform they are comfortable with Zoom, Skype, Hangouts, etc and then grabbing their individual feeds independent of that at higher quality would be amazing.

You can then do Super Source, control individual talent audio levels, not worry about platform audio distortion, and have a known compression and color profile to start from. I think for high profile Virtual Panel discussions it is going to be amazing even without an option to remote back into the onsite mini pro…though with that option it would be killer.

I’m hoping they add the ability to stream to multiple streaming bridges on the same network. With that functionality, I could have one in each classroom connected to our church VLAN and hooked up to the smartboards. We could then have all school prayer services where we would not need to assemble the entire student body in the church.