2 mile (3200 m) Wireless DIY ATEM Tally Light System

I thought I would share the tally system I built for a ATEM switchers. I was looking around the Internet for different tally light systems for ATEM and I couldn’t find anything that fit my needs for a reasonable price or that wasn’t based on a Wi-Fi or Bluetooth solution for wireless which in my opinion is unreliable and short range.

The system is based on an Arduino Mega or UNO and Xbee 2.4GHz wireless modules. it Consists of 4 wireless modules and 4 wired modules this gives me a total of 8 camera tally lights. The system also has a small box inside with eight buttons, that I use for a “call button” this flashes the Lights red and green on and off. The code is based on SKAARHOJ Open engineering files.

Wireless Transmitter Range:
Digi Xbee 3 Zigbee 3.0 - INDOOR: 200 ft (60 m) OUTDOOR: 4000 ft (1200 m)
Digi Xbee 3 PRO Zigbee 3.0 - INDOOR: 300 ft (90 m) OUTDOOR: 2 miles (3200 m)

2 Likes

That’s some serious range! How far do you normally use these? Also at that distance isn’t getting the video signal back to the switcher a challenge too?

1 Like

I never usually have to use them at that range but it’s nice to have the capability. I would usually use them at a max of 300’ with SDI but if I ever had to do a fiber setup for long distance transmission or a encoder decoder set up. They’re super reliable as short distances and they are affordable.

This reminds me of the Tally Arbiter system but does rely on Wi-Fi or Ethernet https://techministry.blog/2020/10/16/tally-arbiter-version-1-4-with-multiple-me-support-for-atem-a-new-bootstrap-framework-and-more/

1 Like

I Remember looking at that system when I was first looking into tally lights. But it really just came down to Wi-Fi wasn’t going to be reliable enough for me.